skip navigation

Premier Tournament - Game #2

By Eagan Boys Hockey, 12/27/18, 5:00PM CST


Eagan VS St. Paul Johnson

Even though the Wildcats came away with a win yesterday against Hopkins they were not real pleased with their level of play.  While there is not a lot known about today's opponent, the Wildcats game plan was to shut them down and dominate.  Just five minutes after the puck drop Senior Forward and Assistant Captain, Jonny Meiers gets one past the Johnson net-minder.  The assist going to Senior Forward and Captain, Nick Sherek.  For the remainder of the period quite honestly the back and forth only resulted in penalties.  Three of them to be exact.  Two for Eagan and one for St. Paul Johnson.  Neither team able to capitalize.  At the end of the first period it's the Wildcats up one to zero.

The second period started with the teams trading penalties.  Eagan first and Johnson unable to score.  And near the end of Johnson penalty, Senior Defenseman, Matt Bergrom is able to sneak one past the goalie.  Assists going to Junior Defenseman and Assistant Captain, Max Meekin and Senior Center and Captain, Keegan Johnson.  The remainder of the period the Wildcats could not stay out of the penalty box.  They committed four more penalties in the second period while St. Paul Johnson had two more of their own.  Both teams were effective killing off the penalties as no additional scoring occured during the second period and the score remained Eagan two and St. Paul Johnson zero.

The third period began in a similar fashion as the second period concluded, in the penalty box.  Except this time both teams go simultaneously for roughing.  After those penalties expire Eagan starts a scoring spree, which goes as follows:

     *  Scoring Goal #3:  Jonny Meiers, assisted by Keegan Johnson and Junior Defenseman, Aidan Byrne

     *  Scoring Goal #4:  Nick Sherek, assisted by Keegan Johnson and Senior Defenseman, Eli Dolney

     *  Scoring Goal #5:  Junior Center, Cole Gibson, assisted by Eli Dolney

After that scoring flurry the only event of mention was, yes you guessed it, another Wildcat penalty.  This took the game to the final horn with the Wildcats winning five to zero.  The Wildcats dominated in shots with forty-six to thirteen.  And Junior Goal-tender, Derek Manzella stopped all thirteen shots to get the win and the shut-out.  Next game:  Eagan takes on Hastings in the Premier Tournament Championship game.  Game is tomorrow (12/28) at 2pm.