skip navigation

Times Do Change

By Eagan Boys Hockey, 01/19/19, 7:00PM CST


Wildcats get the Blaze off their back

It's one thing to lose twice to a team in the same season.  But to do it for the past four years is something else.  There was an added tension to the start of this game and from the drop of the puck both teams picked up their game speed.  But unfortunately with just over eight minutes gone by Burnsville gets on the scoreboard first.  But the Wildcats didn't let it get them down.  Then just four minutes later Senior Forward and Captain, Nick Sherek sneaks one past the Burnsville goal tender.  assists going to, Senior Defenseman, Matthew Bergom and Junior Defenseman, Aidan Byrne.  And then not even one minute later, Senior Forward Cullen Myhre flips one in the net.  Assists going to Junior Center, Cole Gibson and Junior Forward, Henry Reiff.  The Wildcats have a nice lead as the final buzzer gets ready to sound.  But, before that can happen the Blaze hit the back of the Wildcat net.  So after the first period all things are tied up at two.  Eagan out-shoots the Blaze eleven to eight.

At the start of the second period the Wildcats come out flying and they start to hammer Burnsville's goalie.  While the period is a back and forth battle there really are no key stats that register on the score sheet.  Until three minutes are gone in the period, Junior Forward and Assistant Captain, Jonny Meiers finds the back of the Burnsville net.  Assists going to Sherek and Byrne.  After that, there is no scoring and no penalties.  The Wildcats hammer the Blaze goalie with shots and out-shoot Burnsville thirteen to one.  The second period ends with the Wildcats on top three to two.

The third period begins and the Wildcats get a bit lazy and stop moving their feet.  Unfortunately ending up in the penalty box which the Blaze capitalize on.  So within the first six and a half minutes of the third period they score twice.  So now the Wildcats are down by the score of four to three.  Then just four minuets later, Senior Center and Captain Keegan Johnson gets one past the Blaze goalie.  Assists going to Sherek and Meiers.  The Wildcats realize they are starting to run out of time and begin to press and pepper the Blaze goalie.  And four and half minutes later Johnson once again blasts one past the Burnsville goal-tender.  Assists going to Sherek and Senior Defenseman, Eli Dolney.  So the Wildcats are up five to four at this point.  And with just a couple of minutes remaining the Burnsville Blaze pull their goalie in order to get the extra man advantage.  The Blaze press but the Wildcats stand firm.  And with what has to be an engineering miracle, Jonny Meiers attempts to ice a puck off the boards.  But with some strange action after bouncing off the boards the puck tips onto one edge and basically steers its way into the net for the empty net score.  No one was hustling for the puck as everyone in the arena thought it was going to be icing.  But when the third period horn sounded it was the Wildcats on top of the Blaze by the score of six to four.  Plus the Wildcats out-shot the Blaze ten to seven.  Manzella plays a strong game as the Wildcat Net-minder and stopped twelve of sixteen scoring chances.  Manzella gets the win.  Up next for the Wildcats is a game against Prior Lake on Tuesday the 22nd at 7pm in Prior Lake.