skip navigation

Wildcats Head South

By Eagan Boys Hockey, 02/05/19, 7:00PM CST


Injuries, illness and bad weather hamper Wildcat's chances

When you drive south for the winter you typically have expectations that you will be leaving bad weather for warmer weather.  But on this particular evening nothing could be further from the truth.  In one of the biggest snow storms of the season the Wildcats head to Lakeville South for a rematch.   With a couple of key injuries and a few key illnesses the Wildcats head to the puck- drop, down a few players.  But the Wildcats are determined to step up their game.   With barely six minutes gone in the game, South goes to the box for a minor penalty.  The Wildcats are not wanting to squander the opportunity and just a few seconds later, Senior Forward, Michael Beneke gets the goal on the power play.  Assists going to Senior Forward, Cullen Myhre and Senior Center and Captain Keegan Johnson.  Eagan continues to press hard for the remainder of the period and as time expires Eagan out shoots South thirteen to seven and has the lead one to nothing.

As the second period begins the Wildcats pick up where they left off and come out firing.  Just a minute and a half into the second, Junior Defenseman, Aidan Byrne blasts one by the South goal tender.  Assists going to Johnson and Junior Forward, Henry Reiff.  But then the Wildcats get into a sort of a lull.  The number of shots starts to go down and South begins to pick up their game.  And just seven and half minutes gone by South gets a power play goal as the Wildcats are in the box for a high sticking minor.  And then thirteen minutes gone in the period the Wildcats stumble once again and are in the box for a hooking minor.  Unfortunately, same result as the first penalty.....a South goal with fifteen minutes gone.  At the end of the second period the score is tied at two but are out-shot eighteen to eight.

The third period is uneventful from a scoring perspective but its an edgy back and forth contest.  South commits two penalties but their goalie stands tall and gives up nothing.  So as the third period ends, things are all tied up at two.  One good thing is that the Wildcats out shot South fifteen to ten.

The Wildcats and South begin an eight minute overtime.  Lots of neutral zone activity as both teams are jockeying for position.  Lots of dump and chase and lots of good goalie play by both teams.  And then with a minute and a half to go, Senior Forward Cullen Myhre jams one past the goalie to give the Wildcats the OT win.  Manzella plays a magical game and stops 39 of 41 chances and gets the Win.  The Wildcats next game is Saturday against Rosemount at 7pm.